Karne is the grand magister of the Magistrate, a powerful order of magic users consisting of former paladins and skilled magicians.
Background[edit | edit source]
After peace was brought to the realm the Paladins were no longer needed. As they stepped down from governing the lands, a new organization was created, that being the Magistrate: an assembly of former Paladins and powerful sorcerers, led by the former Paladin Karne himself as Grand Magister.
However, a new discovery was made, crafted crystals with great potential for magic and technological advances. Accidents and misuses during the revolution made the Magistrate decide action needed to be taken. The Grand Magister decided to outlaw crystals. Some agreed with Karne, believing this choice would bring peace back once again, while others distrusted or feared the Magistrate.
They began raids and incursions across the land seizing any crystals they could find. A battle took place against the newly formed Resistance, which eventually resulted in the destruction of a powerful Stagalla. Though beaten, the Resistance did not dissipate and now a civil war has erupted where the Magistrate will not rest until the Resistance is destroyed.
Karne has a son named Corvus, who also held a high position in the Magistrate. After Corvus was tricked by Seris into releasing Raum, he was exiled from the Magistrate as punishment for disappointing Karne.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Karne has appeared a total of 5 times. This includes his appearances in the A Realm Divided lore video, Atlas' reveal trailer (as a picture), in the Magistrate's Archives map (as a statue), in Corvus' card Crushing Expectations (also as a statue), and finally, in Yagorath's card End Of An Era.
- Karne is also mentioned by name by three different characters. One is Corvus, who mentions him by name once (▶️), as well as a once more as "Father" (▶️). Vora also mentions him twice (▶️ ▶️). Karne is also directly mentioned by name by Overlord Khan twice (▶️ ▶️), as as well twice by his title of Grand Magister (▶️ ▶️).
- As mentioned here, Karne has done a lot of good and worked incredibly hard in making a civil Realm.
- While previously hinted at, it was confirmed here that Karne is a mage.
- Though Karne seems to utilize crystal magic, it was implied here, that champions prior to the creation of the Magistrate get their powers from other sources. It is unknown if this also applies to Karne.
- As revealed here, Karne fights for the peace of the Realm, which is why he clashes with Valera, who fights for the freedom of the Realm.
- While Karne and Valera are currently planned to never become playable characters, Paladins artist Thunderbrush once attempted to pitch concepts of the two as playable characters, as revealed here.
- One of the reasons the two haven't been made playable is due to their status as major background characters leading the two largest groups in the lore, as revealed here.
- Another reason is due to them being the two most powerful characters in the Realm, as was said here (▶️) in the Evil Mojo Meet & Greet.